Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My Son on leave from Iraq

For those who didn't get my e-mail I just wanted to post that my Son, Jon, got home March21 from Iraq.  I is soo good to see him but knowing that he has to return is tough on 'Ol Dad.  He has decided to make a career out of the Army and plans to use the "green to gold" program to get his degree and come out an Officer (a RLO not a warrent like his Dad)  he has even chosen Aviation as his number 1 on the wish list.  When he got home he almost made me cry when he rolled up his left sleve and showed me a partially completed Combat Tat of the BlueGhost Insignia.  Today he had it almost finished with all the color and it looks great.  He used the patch that Donna Delore made for him as a good luck charm.  I am so proud of him.  Now, I just hope our country will get its sh** togeather to deserve his service.
 
Bob

6 comments:

  1. Jon, good luck to you in Iraq.  Thank you for your service. Bob, keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Red, I'll pass your best wishes onto him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jon best of luck to you in Iraq  and to dear old dad keep us posted best of luck all thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks moonshadow, I did pass this onto Jon before he left last weekend.  The picture I attached is of his BlueGhost Tatoo.  He had is started as a combat tat and then finished it up on leave.  And yes,  Too the other comment about understanding how our Parents felt when we shipped out for Vietnam.  It may have been harder for them because they could never talk about it.  I'm not even sure they talked to each other about my deployment.  My younger Sister said it hung over the dinner table like a big elephant in the room nobody wanted to mention.  She also mentioned that one morning my Mom came to her as she was getting ready for High School and said Bob's going to be ok.  We were able to pin down the date and it was the day I quit flying missions.  That was the only time I was mentioned except when they recieved my very infrequent letters.

    Attachment: JonsIraqLeave 004.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, The photo is great.  Someone did a great job with the colors. Jon is obviously very proud of his Dad's service.  I am sure most of us can relate to the comments about parents and relatives not having anyone to talk to during the Vietnam era.  My wife has told me stories about the indifferences she experienceded in 67-68 on a college campus while trying to finish her degree. No one was the least bit interested  about her husband being in Vietnam. One classmate told her that she was just living off of "the fat of the land".  Ask Jon to e-mail and join the group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Red,   Yes I am very proud of him.  He has grown so much in last 6 mos (didn't we all in a combat zone).  We do need more members and I'm not sure how to invite him.  If you could send him an e-mail explaining how to sign up I would appreciate it.  His addy is <">jcdrury@gmail.com>.  Anyone else want to drop him a line he really appreciates the "Old Guys" from BlueGhost caring about what he is up to.  I still can't post a photo album of the time I was at KeyHa because I'm using IE 7 beta and msn groups doesn't handle it except in the myspace blog section.  Maybe I'll put some there.

    ReplyDelete