Thursday, September 28, 2006

Quang Tri

I went to Quang Tri with the Ghosts in '71. Did any of you? I went back to Chu Lai to out process in March. My hootch in Quang Tri was the one that took the direct hit, after I left. Some of the guys were close to me. It was hard to take, because that was a second time I got lucky and someone else got hurt and I didn't. I was a short-timer when we went north and I was really pucked-up. I went to Ft. Meade,Md next and was discharged there in January '72. There is alot that is happening Iraq that had happened in Viet Nam. I am as fearful for these young troops as I was in Nam. I just feel that young lives are being lost for no reason,,,, AGAIN !!!

5 comments:

  1. Hey guy, I was one of those sent up north to Quang Tri. I was in the armament shop and ran the night crew at the time. My crew were the fisrt to cycle through this trip to keep the weapons systems working on those Cobras.   I am the guy that had the black helmet with the cross and angst painted on it. I also was with the Troop during the offensive that spring and spent many a night up north.   Hope to see you at the next reunion in Branson, MO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Don, This is Hector Mendoza. I was at the hootch minutes before the blast with Julio Bentancourt and Montemayor. He was one of your hoothmaid.   My e-mail address mndzhctr@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also there. I was next row of hootchs and 2 over. I was a door gunner at the time. Will never forget that night....Ron Nelson aka Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there when all that was going on my name is steve gardner was in chu lai when we made the move to quang tri I was in country from may 1970 thru may 1971 , unlike a lot of you I have forgotten a lot that was going on for that year but i'm sure that most of you will remember me, feel free to e-mqil me at anytime and see what we can come up with I was in FTroop 8th cav the whole tour. I know a lot went on I don't want to remember and a lot went on I just can't remember due to all the medical problems I am haveing now.             stevenjgardner666@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, I flew with weapons platoon and ran the ops shack until Dec 70.  Your name sounds familiar but can't place you.  What section were you with?   BlueGhost Two-Zero Bob Drury

    ReplyDelete