Friday, March 6, 2009

Service Memories 1966-88


Bob Duffy, Carter Davis on Hawk Hill in 1968. C- Model 737, "Hog"

Aircraft 66-0737
This is the aircraft I was flying on 5 May 68 when I was shot in the left foot at Western Valley near LZ Center.

Photos by Carter Davis, Blue Ghosts 1967-68. Carter was an original Blue Ghost who deployed to RVN aboard the USNS General Nelson M. Walker. He was from Parma, Missouri and served as a crew chief/ door gunner on a UH-1C gunship. On May 5, 1968, in combat operations near Landing Zone Center, Carter and his door gunner, SP5 Black, were hit by .51 caliber machine gun fire and wounded. Both were medically evacuated to Japan. His pilot was Cpt. Ron Grooms, the gun platoon leader. These images span the twenty two years of Carters' service in the US Army.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Bill, Thanks for Posting these Great Pictures that Carter had taken during his 22 yrs, just want to thank you for sharing, many pics are places I had been. I was at Phutai and Ran the Roads, North & South, Thanks and also one vet to another Thanks for Your Service, getting late so got to go, have a great weekend, Frenchie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carter, i have pictures and will try to get them on this weekend while my son is home to help me. Sally, Fred Hersom's wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From: Richard
    Sent: Sun 3/22/09 10:24 AM
    To: Bill Hatch (blueghostred@msn.com)

    Hello Bill: The car is a 1966 Mustang Conv Red with white top.Oh me i wish i still had it. I hope to be at reunion on sat if possible. I now live in TN about 2 hours south east of Nashville on Rt -40
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard, A beautiful car indeed. The Mustang was very nice. I know what you mean when you say that you wish that you still had it. I wish I still had my 66 cutlass. lol
    I am trying to make it over to the reunion, hope to see you there.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete