Wednesday, June 21, 2006

saying hello

this is blueghost 20's son, jon (hurricane 7g).  im in iraq with 4th ID, 2nd BCT, E FSC 2-8 CAB.  it pretty much sucks over here right now.  im a cook in a forward support company attached to a mech infantry batt.  theyve cross attached me to 2-8's hhc, mostly cav scouts.  right now theyve got me on 24hr ops on even numbered days and a 12 hour shift at the mess hall on odd numbered days.  sleep deprevation is starting to take its toll... but shit happens and we are almost done.
 
when i joined the army my dad said to me that he never expected either of his sons to join -- let alone both.  i think that growing up in a house with a veteran gave us both a high degree of respect for those willing to serve their county in a time of war.  being deployed has only strengthed that feeling for me.  you gentleman truly were the best of your generation and me mine.  as soldiers we bear a burden that civilians will never be able to comprehend.  so know that what you did for our country is appreciated and that we understand what it is to appreciate what yall did.
 
drink acouple for me at the reunion.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jon,  It is really good to hear from you in Iraq. I enjoyed reading your letter and was interested that your are in the 4th Infantry Div. That’s the division that the Blue Ghosts were assigned to upon arrival at Camp Enari, Vietnam in October 1967. The 4th ID operated in the central highlands and was involved in some hard fought battles around Kontum. I was also interested to note that you are a cook. That is a very demanding and important job. At one time I was a grill cook working the night shift. I had to know how to cook 25-30 steaks to order, all at one time. It’s hard work and I can relate to how tired you feel. Sounds like you have double shifts and that’s probably because you are good at what you do. The guy that does the best job usually gets the most work. Hang in there and make sleep the top priority when you are off. Pace yourself and you will make it just fine. Keep a journal; it will be valuable to you in later years. Write often, especially to your family, we like to hear from you too. Bill Hatch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Red for you welcoming note to my Son, Jon,  How many of you guys are going to be in D.C. for the VHPA convention.  I look foward to seeing my Ghosts there as I missed last years BlueGhost reunion.  I do plan to be in Branson though.   BlueGhost Two-Zero Bob

    ReplyDelete